Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Quotes!

http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/120509/3dc34c7cab40477f.gif

I did this before on another post, but I love quotes. I collect quotes in a notebook...from song lyrics to random things I see in movies, books, magazines, or on the internet. Most of them have no real creditor to it, I just find them randomly. But I'm going to flip through my notebook and find quotes that remind me of things in The Great Gatsby and then explain how!

"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place."

   This quote really reminds me of Daisy's outlook on life. She has had a lot happen to her. She lost Gatsby and now has a husband who cheats on her and she is well aware of it. However, she always has this positive way about her. She is sunshine, really.

"The biggest mistake you can make is drifting apart from seomeone who you once had the time of your life with."

    This quote reminds me of how both Daisy and Gatsby probably felt at one point or another. They were once each other's entire world's. They were so in love. They indeed had the time of their lives together, then Gatsby left to war, and it ripped them apart.

"The only truly painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained."

    This is probably how Gatsby felt when Tom took Daisy away without telling anybody with full intention of ripping Gatsby and her apart again. This is also how Daisy must have felt after she found out about Gatsby's death--she never got to say goodbye, never got to tell him she loves him.

"All our lives we search for someone to love, someone to make us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope, all the while, wondering if somewhere, somehow, someone perfect is searching for us too."

     I love how much this quote reminded me of the overall flow of the book. Gatsby spent yearswaiting for Daisy to just walk right back into his life. I especially like the metaphor "dance to a song of heartbreak" because of Gatsby's parties--full of dancing, all the while Gatsby is heartbroken, waiting for Daisy. Gatsby spent those years just wondering and waiting and hoping Daisy still loved him back.

"Sometimes you just need someone. Someone to make you smile when you're sad, to tell you you're beautiful. Someone to look forward to seeing you every day. Someone to call you every night just to say I love you and mean it."
 
   This quote reminds me of how Daisy could have been feeling. Tom neglected her to a point because he had another woman. Therefore, Daisy's self esteem wasn't at peak, and she very much just wanted to be loved and wanted to be enough for anything. I also think Gatsby would have done everything for Daisy that the quote suggests.

"Don't ever use someone's past against them. You're just reminding them of the mistakes they made back then. If you watch their facial expressions carefully, then you'll see the hurt in their eyes as they reminisce everything that happened. Never use emotion as a weapon, it strikes deeper than you can imagine."

   The past between Gatsby and Daisy was an extremely touchy subject even for the two of them alone. The past had been buried in Daisy's life while the past was very much alive in Gatsby's world. Therefore, it was hard for both of them to think about how things used to be, and to realize they may never be the same again.

"I wasn't looking for someone to make me feel happy. Of course I can be happy on my own. But I wanted to be someone else's happiness. Do you know that feeling? To be someone's first thought when they wake up and to put a bright smile on their face just for saying "hello". Whatever it's called, it's a feeling I can't feel on my own, it is a a feeling I was looking for, and it is what I meant when I said "I can't be alone"."

    Nick Carraway and Jordan Baker become romantically involved throughout the story. This quote reminds me exactly of something Miss Baker would say to Carraway. She was incredibly independent and strong, however she wanted to be loved. She could do things on her own, but she didn't want to-and she had thought Carraway was her answer even though he has much bigger things to be dealing with.

"What they say, life goen on, is mostly true. The mail is delivered, and the Christmas lights go up and down from the houses, and the ladders get put away, and you open yet another box of cereal. In time, the volume of my feelings would be turned down in gentle increments to near quiet, and yet the record would still spin, always spin."

   This is most likely how Daisy felt for a long time after Gatsby's death. She had a husband and a daughter to take care of, she couldn't just stop living. She had to accept things and keep living her life no matter how deep her mourning may have became. She probably understood that life goes on, even if pain is constant.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Michelle, a student at Fremd. I love quotes too! I think my favorite from all of these is, "The only truly painful goodbyes are the ones that are never said and never explained." I have never read The Great Gatsby, but you made great comparions to it. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete