Thursday, October 20, 2011

Reflecting and Moving Onto Second Quarter!

       I am perfectly content with my grade this quarter! I got a 100! I was surprised. I am definetly not the most creative and thoughtful person on the planet, but I'm glad that the hardwork that I did put into the blog proved successful. As for organization and focus, all my blog entries were complete and my blog was well organized. For content and ideas, this is coming from my feedback, readers of my blog could understand that I read my book and understood it. My blog provided readers with informational websites, personal vlog, etc. Then, thankfully, my grammer and spelling proved adequate to the criteria. That was one thing I was worried about when doing this blog assignment. I overall have good grammer and spelling skills, but I do have problems from time to time. I think this quarter I can definetly become more creative when responding to blog prompts. Although I still don't know how this will turn out, I can always try. Whenever trying to be creative, unless I come up with an idea right away, there's like a wall preventing me from coming up with a solid, creative, idea or response. Also, I hope that this quarter I picked a more meaningful, interesting book. Three Black Swans was an alright book, but it got repetitive and was just very fictional.
       When presented with this blog assignment, I was indifferent. I don't read to often on my own, but when I do get around to it, I enjoy it. Soon enough, I began to dread the blog days. This really is only because it challenged my creativity and it took more effort than I was usually willing to give on a Thursday at the very end of the school day. I soon got behind by putting off the blog prompts. I then decided that I just had to go it, just get through them all. I gave myself a lot of time to do so, and to my surprise I finished them quickly. I had assumed that they would be very time consuming, but once I had the attitude to just get it done, time flew. At the end of the day, and looking back, I do like this project. It's like nothing I've ever done in any class and like I've mentioned a few times now, it challenges my creativity which trust me, needs challenging. Also, one thing I think this blog assignment has taught me is to just get it done, and do my best. I think this will be very beneficial when I get into college. There are going to many things I don't want to do, but have to do. Who knows, I could end up liking it, and I need to learn the discipline to just get to that point.
       This quarter I'm reading From Baghdad, With Love by Lieutenant Colonel Jay Kopelman with Melinda Roth. My best friend read this book last quarter and really loved it. It's written by a Marine with the help of Melinda Roth. Overall, it's about a big tough Marine who's heart had been hardened by the war, and the concept of it, and the death that inevitably follows it who finds a puppy in the midst of this fight-physically the war, as well as his emotional and mental fight- that changes his life. This quarter readers can expect to see a lot of information on the Army, Marines, etc and their psychological dealings that are a direct result of fighting a war. I think that this book is going to give a unique perspective of this, the problems veterans of wars deal with after the fighting is long over. The fact that a puppy "softened his heart", which is how I like to think of it, is just downright precious. I hope this quarter blog is an successful as last quarters!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sloan! In the first paragraph, you mention that sometimes you have difficulty with spelling and grammar, which is understandable. In the second sentence of your second parapgrah, you typed 'to' instead of 'too.' I love that this quarter you decided to go for a book that has more depth than your previous book. From Baghdad, With Love manages to be inspiring and heartbreaking at the same time, so I think you'll love it. It's also got a happy ending, which everybody loves. Did you know there's actually a sequel to it? It's a follow-up book on Lava's life after the war. I really want to read it. I also love that you mentioned me in the last paragraph! Are you going to try to keep up to date on your blog posts this quarter or do you prefer waiting until later? I tried to keep up to date last quarter; I hate getting behind on things. I always end up feeling overwhelmed.I hope you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sloan you inspire me so much when I go to write my blog. The way you spell those words so good, I apologize I ment well, help me aspire to become a better writer. Your everyday struggle with life somewhat reminds me of the marines struggle in Bagdad. You work so hard to stay alive, above the water if you will, but you always have that lingering sense of death all about you. That is, until you find a puppy. Sloan have you found a puppy? I bet it's warm and fluffy and thoughtful just like you. On the criticial perspective I agree that you need to tap into your creativity. This blog could be spruced up with some creative sparks. It might take a mental breakdown to accomplish this, but I think you can do it. With your super grammar skills, and a new found creative spark you could be the best blogger this side of the Mississippi. According to a fellow blogger Jesus was the first blogger, but the Bible is rather long and hard to read. See what I'm getting at? Blog the bible, abbreviate it, and let's go get coffee sometime. I'm sure Russel won't mind. Great blog, keep it up, get creative on this thang.
    Regards,
    Richard Got all the Kreativity Ketter

    ReplyDelete